Wednesday, June 10, 2009

On Becoming a Mother for the First Time



As I anticipate the birth of my first grandchild, I reflect on my experience of giving birth to Danielle on March 28, 1984. (Dan and I were married on July 28, 1982. I was 21 years old when I got married and 23 years old at the time of her birth. This worked well for us.) The following is what I recorded in my journal after her birth.

“What a beautiful baby! Boy, you sure had a lot of hair, real dark. I kind of knew from the start, that you would be a girl. I even bought your blessing dress before you were born. (Ultra sounds were not common then.)

The day we’d been anticipating for so long, finally arrived. I had a real easy pregnancy—a few bad headaches and a little nausea but nothing compared to a lot of women. I didn’t get real big and people always commented about that. You were a real mover. I told people you’d be a good dancer. I loved it.

When you were born, it was hard to imagine that you had actually been what had been making me fat. How did you ever survive in there and that exhilarating delivery?
No words can describe a mother’s feelings when she gives birth to a living child. It is so special. I feel excited for the next one.

I tried to nurse you for a month, but you weren’t gaining weight like you should have, so we put you on formula. You were a very good baby. You didn’t sleep through the night very good, but Daddy was always really good to take turns getting up with you. We are always so proud of you. I like to take you with me just because I can show you off. I am so glad that you are really pretty. I guess parents always worry about that!”

I’ll try and find what I wrote after each of the other children was born…Good luck Steve and Danielle. You will be great parents!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had posted this! Thank you! It was very sweet to read!

    ReplyDelete