Sunday, June 7, 2009

Remember Gratitude


January 27, 2008

Offering Gratitude

O Remember, Remember by President Henry B. Eyring

Today’s fourth Sunday Conference talk was given by Cindy Thompson. It was the first talk given by Pres. Eyring after he was named a counselor in the first presidency.
He tells of how he was told in his mind—not in his own voice—these words: “I’m not giving you these experiences for yourself. Write them down.”

He says, “I went inside. I took out some paper and began to write. And as I did, I understood the message I had heard in my mind. I was supposed to record for my children to read, someday in the future, how I had seen the hand of God blessing our family. And so I wrote it down, so that my children could have the memory someday when they would need it. I wrote down a few lines every day for years. Before I would write, I would ponder this question: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” As I kept at it, something began to happen. As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done.

More than gratitude began to grow in my heart.
Testimony grew
I felt more gratitude for the atonement of the Savior
I grew more confident that the Holy Ghost can bring all things to our remembrance

Cindy Thompson commented that you have to learn to ponder and that it’s fun. Pres. Eyring concludes that it can change our natures as we keep our part of the promise from the Sacrament prayer to always remember Him, keep His commandments and take His name upon us. He says that “it brings me joy to remember Him!” I agree…

I shared a special experience that I had this week in Maui. It is three hours later in Hawaii so I woke early every morning, because I was used to waking up at 6:00 am which was really like 9:00 am and sleeping in there. I would go down to the beach in front of our Condo and walk along the beach to exercise and enjoy the beauty. Some days, Dan and or the children would come along, but on this day, I was alone. I had walked out on the street a few blocks and then was drawn to the beautiful ocean. I took off my walking shoes and enjoyed the feel of the sand in between my toes as I walked along the beach.

I paused and reflected on the beauty of the masterpiece painting before me as I watched the moon set and the reflection of the sun rising to the East. The clouds on the horizon looked like cotton candy with their hues of soft pink and violet against the soft blue sky.
I was overcome with gratitude for the beautiful sight before me. As I stood there, I closed my eyes and said my morning prayer, giving thanks for the beauty of the world.

When I opened my eyes, I was delighted and surprised to see a see lion (sea monk) just a few feet straight ahead of me in the shallow ocean waves having his morning bath. He frolicked in front of me for several minutes, enjoying the beautiful morning with me before swimming back into the sea. The thought ran through my mind that Heavenly Father had heard and acknowledged my prayer of gratitude and simply wanted to send me another moment of pleasure to let me know that he was happy that I enjoyed his beautiful creations.

Because of Pres. Eyring’s talk and Sis. Thompson’s lesson, I’ll record this memory for future reflection.
Please View the following link:

No comments:

Post a Comment