Monday, July 9, 2012

Blessings of Being Honost

I went by the Pine View Movie Theater the other day to try and find one of my graduating students so I could give her a yearbook. She wasn't there and as I left out the doors I spotted a $10. bill blowing along the sidewalk. I retrieved it and looked back to see if someone was paying who might have just lost it. I didn't see anyone at the window so I asked the attendant there and she said she didn't know who it might belong to.
I decided to go in and check with those people who were buying movie treats. One fellow said, "no it wasn't mine but it looks like you just got $10. richer." I decided to ask the young manager what the lost and found policy was for the Movie Theater. I was hoping he would take my name and call me if no one claimed it. He said there policy is that keep for a few weeks and if no one claims it, it just goes in to the profit of the company.
Now, I had a decision to make and I evaluated the possibilities quickly in my mind. I hated to add to the profit of the company when I can't afford to see many movies and maybe go to two a year because they are so expensive. Just then I noticed a young man behind the counter who is a youth in my ward. He was paying attention to my dilemma.What would I do?
Then I remembered the effort that my daughter, Lindsey had made to pay a subway token when I had visited her the week before. We had gone through the gated door with the baby stroller and didn't see a place to put her token in. She went to a great effort to go back and find a place to deposit the token to pay for her subway fare so she could be honest. That had made a great impression on me. In fact, I had made a goal shortly after that display of honesty, that I would try and be more honest. I am honest in most actions but when it comes to maybe getting a better deal on something or feeling like I deserve a break because I don't have a lot of money, I may not always be able to answer the question, "Is it really mine?"
So in that split second of contemplating my next action, I reluctantly gave the young manager the $10.00 and told him that I hope he could find the owner of the money. As I walked out the door, I felt good that I had made a good choice because the money did not belong to me. I appreciated Lindsey's great example for me.
On the way home, I stopped and picked up the mail at the box and in there was a note and a check for $40.00 for me. It was from someone that had borrowed some wedding decorations from me and a vase had broken and she wanted to pay for it. I had told her that it was no big deal because the vase had been given to me and so I wasn't out any money; but she sent the money anyway. What a marvel that the money arrived just moments after I had made a good choice to return the money that wasn't mine.
I have had similar instances like this before. I am aware that many tender mercies from the Lord are great teaching moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment